Grow Smart Rhode Island provides statewide leadership for diverse public and private interests seeking sustainable and equitable economic growth. We promote such growth by advocating for compact development in revitalized urban, town, and village centers balanced with responsible stewardship of our region’s natural assets – farmland, forests, the coastline, and the Bay. We inform leaders, decision makers, and concerned citizens about the many benefits of compact development and asset stewardship and provide research and training on proven smart growth strategies. We convene broad coalitions that advocate policy reforms and specific projects designed to build communities where all people and businesses can thrive.
Our Vision for Rhode Island
If Grow Smart’s vision for Rhode Island is realized . . .
- Valued, maintained, and invested in our diverse built and natural assets in order to strengthen our economy and provide all Rhode Islanders with the opportunity to live healthy and productive lives in a state with an outstanding urban/rural balance.
- Revitalized our city, town, and village centers, incorporating historic rehabilitation and complementary new construction, walkable streets, parks, and recreational areas, to make these compact centers thriving places to live and visit, work and establish businesses.
- Generated a broad range of attractive, healthy, and affordable housing choices that give all Rhode Islanders the chance to live close to where they work.
- Conserved our natural resources, including farmlands, forests, and our incomparable Narragansett Bay, and strengthened farming, forestry and our marine industries.
- Established an efficient and integrated transportation system that enables Rhode Islanders to get to jobs, schools, services, and recreational areas easily and affordably while reducing automobile dependence.
Rhode Islanders will have renewed pride in our beautiful state, renewed confidence in its future, and feel empowered to continue taking the bold action necessary to unleash its full potential.
Smart Growth News
Great example of city, state collaborating on a complex challenge and finding the win-win. Winning redesign will serve local residents and regional commuters well for many years to come. Reconnected street grid with new bike & ped connections will help to revitalize corridor neighborhoods. Up to 30 acres of land to eventually be freed up for community and […]
Briefing Book includes recommendations, resources for candidates and voters Download Briefing Book October 13, 2016 – Hot off the e-press, our 2016 Briefing Book for Candidates and Voters is now on the street. In it we assert that Rhode Island is on a comeback path due in large part to key investments in smart and sustainable economic development recently embraced by voters […]
Transit forum will examine lessons learned in Denver, Minneapolis and Hartford as local officials explore how to make transit work for more Rhode Islanders Nearly 80% of Rhode Island’s population lives within a 10-minute walk of a transit stop. Still, onlyabout 2.7% of the state’s population uses transit regularly. It’s something of a “chicken or […]
Following the November 2014 statewide referenda in which Rhode Island voters approved the most sweeping package of investments in smart growth and community revitalization since Grow Smart’s founding, the 2015 General Assembly continued the momentum. By enacting a number of promising new initiatives – including Governor Raimondo’s bold economic comeback agenda – and staving off radical […]
June 15, 2015 (Newport, RI) — A public meeting and open house for the Lower Thames and Spring Streets Streetscape Improvements project is taking place at 5:30 – 7:00PM on Tuesday, June 23 at the Edward King House [35 King Street in Newport]. The Lower Thames and Spring Streets Streetscape Improvements project is an open […]
Attracting talent, fostering creativity, and building brand among factors favoring downtowns outlined in new national survey WASHINGTON, DC – (June 18, 2015) Hundreds of American companies see unique competitive advantages to being located in a walkable downtown neighborhood. These locations are helping companies attract and retain talented workers, build their brand and corporate identity, support […]