Full-time Job Opening:
Manager, Land Use and Community Planning Training Program
Reporting to the Grow Smart Rhode Island Executive Director, and also working closely with our Deputy Director and Manager of Community Technical Assistance, the Training Manager will be responsible for the direction of Grow Smart RI’s award-winning training program and for expanding the organization’s efforts to respond to municipal needs for training and technical assistance.
Since 2001, we have partnered with a number of other organizations and agencies that share a commitment to the principles of smart growth and sustainable community development. The various partners, known as the Grow Smart RI Land Use Training Collaborative, work individually and collectively to develop and present workshops and training programs that address the need for affordable and consistent training for the municipal staff, boards and commissions responsible for land use planning in Rhode Island on a wide range of topics.
Since late 2001, the Land Use Training Collaborative has developed and delivered more than 40 different workshops to about 3300 attendees. Workshops offered have included both how-to sessions on conducting land-use reviews and writing decisions and programs about specific smart growth strategies related to mixed-use development, local economic development, affordable housing, improving local transportation options, devising farm friendly zoning regulations, conservation development and Complete Streets design. Many of the workshops are geared for municipal staff, boards and commissions; some are developed for community design and development professionals and for interested members of the public. Most workshops are led on a pro bono basis by land use attorneys, planners and design professionals.
- Manage Grow Smart Rhode Island’s Training Program
- Develop training program annual work plan and work with Executive Director and other staff to coordinate with Grow Smart’s annual overall organizational work plan
- Develop annual training budget and work with Executive Director, development staff/consultant and Board Development Committee to secure required funding
- Develop and deliver new workshops and materials designed to advance the goals and desired results of Grow Smart RI’s Strategic Plan, working in conjunction with other Grow Smart RI staff, paid consultants and/or pro-bono professionals and partners in the Land Use Training Collaborative.
- Market training workshops to targeted audiences
- Implement training program evaluation plan and prepare evaluation reports
- Expand and maintain the training pages on Grow Smart RI’s website
- Maintain communications with similar training programs in neighboring states and seek opportunities for collaboration/synergy
- Maintain close working relationships with training partners
- Explore innovative ways to assist municipalities in building planning and smart growth implementation capacity
- Coordinate the collaborative work of the Land Use Training Collaborative partners
Ideal candidate will be experienced in developing, delivering and evaluating adult training programs and have some knowledge of community planning, land use and related topics. Marketing experience highly desirable. Must be highly organized and have strong leadership ability. Flexibility and strong team attitude absolutely essential. Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and Constant Contact. Must be able to attend evening training programs. Physical ability to lift boxes of training notebooks and other materials. Car required (mileage reimbursed.)
Salary commensurate with experience, relevant skills and accomplishments.
Grow Smart Rhode Island is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com by June 30, 2017 or send cover letter and resume to:
Grow Smart Rhode Island
One Empire Street, Suite # 523
Providence, RI 02903