Full-time Job Opening:
Manager, Land Use and Community Planning Training Program
Reporting to the Grow Smart Rhode Island Executive Director, the Training Manager will be responsible for the direction of Grow Smart’s award-winning training program and for expanding the organization’s efforts to respond to municipal needs for training and technical assistance.
Since 2001, we have partnered with a number of other organizations and agencies that share a commitment to the principles of smart growth and sustainable community development. The various partners, known as the Grow Smart Land Use Training Collaborative, work individually and collaboratively to develop and present workshops and training programs that address the need for affordable and consistent training for the municipal staff, boards and commissions responsible for land use planning in Rhode Island on a wide range of topics. By partnering together, Collaborative members maximize their collective resources and bring a range of outlooks and expertise to workshop development, thereby ensuring that the programs present a balanced, comprehensive approach to land use issues.
Since late 2001, the Land Use Training Collaborative has developed and delivered more than 35 different workshops to about 3,000 attendees. Workshops offered have included both how-to sessions on conducting land-use reviews and writing decisions and programs about specific strategies related to mixed-use development, local economic development, affordable housing, conservation development and Complete Streets design. Many of the workshops are geared for municipal staff, boards and commissions; some are developed for community design and development professionals and for interested members of the public. Most workshops are led on a pro bono basis by land use attorneys, planners and design professionals.
- Manage GrowSmart Rhode Island’s Training Program
- Develop training program annual work plan and work with Executive Director and other staff to coordinate with Grow Smart’s annual overall organizational work plan
- Develop annual training budget and work with Executive Director, development staff/consultant and Board Development Committee to secure required funding
- Develop and deliver new workshops and materials designed to advance the goals and desired results of GrowSmart RI’s Strategic Plan, working in conjunction with other Grow Smart staff, paid consultants and/or pro-bono professionals and partners in the Land Use Training Collaborative.
- Market training workshops to targeted audiences
- Implement training program evaluation plan and prepare evaluation reports
- Expand and maintain the training pages on Grow Smart’s website
- Maintain communications with similar training programs in neighboring states and seek opportunities for collaboration/synergy
- Maintain close working relationships with RI-APA and the RI Division of Planning
- With partners, explore innovative ways to assist municipalities in building planning capacity
- Coordinate the collaborative work of the Land Use Training Collaborative partners
- Organize and facilitate approximately 2-3 meetings per year of LUTC members
- Collect data about current training and prepare reports
- Coordinate joint applications for funding by LUTC partners
- Explore fees and other funding mechanisms for training
- Investigate innovative training techniques and share findings with LUTC members
- Schedule professional development programs for LUTC members
Ideal candidate will be experienced in developing, delivering and evaluating adult training programs and have some knowledge of community planning, land use and related topics. Marketing experience highly desirable. Must be highly organized and have strong leadership ability. Flexibility and strong team attitude absolutely essential. Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Desktop Publisher and Constant Contact. Must be able to attend evening training programs. Physical ability to lift boxes of training notebooks and other materials. Car required (mileage reimbursed.)
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Grow Smart Rhode Island is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com by December 15, 2014 or send cover letter and resume to:
Grow Smart Rhode Island
235 Promenade Street, Suite 550
Providence, RI 02908